Pages

How To Build A Smoker For Under $200

Ever since I was a child is I always enjoyed eating smoked food, whether it was smoked cheese or simply the smell of smoked bacon cooking for breakfast, so I guess that's where it all started.

In my youth however, my father bought our first barbecue grill and after the novelty of spit roasting my first chicken without the use of a battery motor my enthusiasm faded, only to be rekindled when I left home and started to cook for myself. Ever since then, barbecue has been part of my life and fortunately for me, it now is my life.

Smoker Grill

At university I started out grilling lots of different foods over charcoal for my fellow students. of course whenever there was a barbecue party it will always me that took over the cooking to ensure we had good grilled food and not a burnt offering. I was christened 'Bk' or 'Barbecue King'. The fame of Manchester learner habitancy however did not go to my head!

20 years later and I'm finally pursuing the dream, my barbecue website is now my full-time occupation and I have the occasion to learn more and discover those avenues that I've always wanted to do. I started to learn about curing and brining but in order to complete the process I had to have a smoker, my own home made smoker.

Three years ago I bought a Big Green Egg and this has in case,granted me with no end entertainment, lots of appetizing hot smoked food but most importantly, an appetite to learn more. Given the cost of buying a big green egg or equivalent I wanted to build my own smoker and see whether I could do it for less than 0. It took quite a lot of idea a incorporate of days of amateur joinery but I think I found a inexpensive beginning point.

In order to key that costs down it was very prominent to plan out the materials that were going to be used and what were sensible units in which to purchase. My conclusion was to institute from three ply wood and use three-quarter by three-quarter inch batons to fix it all together. The results of this first construction have not been to bad however there is room for improvement.

To give you some background I have used what I think to be the underlying institute of any smoker in that there is a fire box where I generate the smoke and a smoke room where I place the food. In between the fire box and the smoke room is a smoker spreader designed to ensure that we have even distribution of smoke throughout the smoke chamber. Smoke is generated in the fire box use a gas burner, an old frying pan and wood chips with vents top and bottom to regulate the flow or smoke and the climatic characteristic of the food chamber. It works very well however I was expecting there to be more of a similarity in the way that the Big Green Egg works.

The Big Green Egg follows exactly the same principle however the draft vents bottom and top serve to control the climatic characteristic in a completely different way. occasion the vents increase airflow and therefore raises the temperature, with my home-made smoker, the converse is true.

In fact, I have found that one of my biggest challenge is easy to get sufficient heat into the food room so there's still work to be done. The heat loss is down to the number tiny gaps in the construction and also to some extent a follow of the fact that I used the thinnest plywood that is commercially ready in my local lumber yard. I'm going to build mark 2 and these are the changes that I will make to the design:

I will use five ply wood. The plywood and batons will be fixed together not only with screws at way Pva adhesive The hinge construction of the door will be a puny more technical

I suspect that the total cost of construction materials was about 0 so the below 0 box was ticked but for a puny extra money I think I can yield something that will accomplish significantly better. I will article back following the construction of my new improved design.

How To Build A Smoker For Under 0

0 comments:

Post a Comment